Healthy Holiday Recipe: Kale and Butternut Squash Salad
Updated: Feb 10
Kale and Roasted Butternut Squash Salad
with Pomegranate and Spiced Honey Walnuts
For the squash:
· 4 cups butternuts squash, cut into ¼ inch cubes
· 1 Tbsp olive oil
· sea salt and pepper
For the walnuts:
· 1 Tbsp unsalted butter
· 2 Tbsp honey
· ¼ tsp cinnamon
· 1 pinch cayenne pepper
· 1 pinch salt
· 1 cup walnuts (or pecans)
For the dressing:
· 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
· 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
· 2 Tbsp pure maple syrup
· 1/8 tsp salt
· 1/8 tsp black pepper
For the salad:
· 6 cups washed, chopped kale
· ½ cups pomegranate seeds
· 4 ounces goat cheese, optional
1. Roast the butternut squash: Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Place squash cubes in a baking dish or cookie sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Toss to combine. Roast squash for about 30 minutes, gently stirring every ten minutes until tender. Remove from heat and let cool.
2. Make the spiced honey walnuts: Place butter in small nonstick skillet and melt over low heat. Whisk in the honey, cinnamon, cayenne, and salt. Add the walnuts and increase the heat to medium-low. Cook, stirring, for about 5 minutes until the nuts are caramelized and lightly toasted. Remove from heat and let cool.
3. Make the dressing: Combine the ingredients in a small bowl and whisk together. You can also use a mason jar and shake well with lid on to mix.
4. Assemble the salad: Place the washed, chopped kale in a large bowl*. Add the roasted butternut squash, pomegranate seeds, walnuts, and goat cheese, if using. Pour the dressing over the salad and toss gently to combine.
Notes: If you prefer a more tender kale, pour a small amount of dressing on the kale before adding other ingredients and squeeze by hand until slightly tenderized. Then add the rest of the ingredients and remainder of the dressing and mix.
Adapted from Kristine’s Kitchen